Position: Purchasing Agent
Location: Beaumont/Port Arthur, Texas
Yates is proud to be an industry leader in construction and engineering services. To be a top of class organization, Yates is dedicated to hiring individuals who understand the importance of safety; instills integrity in all aspects of their lives; are passionate about what they do; and committed to providing value to our clients.
Skills and Experience:
Yates is seeking an individual to be responsible for working in support of active projects, coordinating the procurement/purchasing process to support the project site. It is the function of the Procurement Agent to accomplish the procurement and delivery of specified products and/or services from qualified subcontractor or vendors at the most favorable prices and terms.
This individual must possess the skillsets needed to assist Yates in identifying strategic opportunities; a strong understanding of risk management; an in-depth knowledge of project life cycles; be results oriented with proven ability to organize, plan and prioritize work to meet deadlines; provide business intelligence and through existing subcontractor and vendor relationships.
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience working in Supply Management and/or Purchasing with specific experience in Procurement. Work experience in residential construction settings is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Functional / Technical Skills--knowledgeable about procurement processes, problem solving/interacting with suppliers, picks up on new systems/technologies/processes quickly
- Computer Skills – Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) and is capable of learning new software in a timely manner.
- Communication Skills – Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Other Skills and Abilities – Comfortable working in an office trailer or construction jobsite. Capable of managing variety of local and national supplier relationships. Ability to work across a cross functional site and organization a plus. Possess a willingness to learn and effectively author contractual commitment documents, as well as internal and external communications. Understands major technical, organizational, managerial and business issues related to procurement. Ability to prioritize in an environment that demands multitasking. Working knowledge of project delivery processes (I.E., program management, construction management, design-bid-build) and their relationship to supply management delivery.
Essential Job Duties:
- Procurement of materials and subcontracts from qualified vendors and subcontractors.
- Lead role in review and recommendation of new and updating of subcontractor/vendor prequalification including financial statement analysis and reference verification.
- Establishing and overseeing Procurement Schedule, including attending project meetings.
- Establishing project bidding procedures, preparation, pre-qualifications and approval of bid lists.
- Developing and implementing strategy to meet the Minority, Women or Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (M/W/DBE) (or other) requirements.
- Assist Operations in creating the general and special conditions, safety requirements and scope requisitions for each project to ensure that the scope, schedule, M/W/DBE or other hiring requirements, insurance and bonding requirements are clearly defined for the bidders.
- Examining the plans and specifications for any deficiencies, construction issues, and technical questions and refer any findings to the Project Manager who will bring them to the attention of the Architect/Engineer for resolution.
- Managing of bidding process, including bid period.
- Project specific responsibility to oversee receipt of bids, spreadsheet development/execution, conducting of scope review meetings with competitive bidders (with operations staff in attendance as required) to confirm that bidders have complied with scope requirements, alternates and unit pricing, manpower, schedules and logistics plans, M/W/DBE requirements, insurance and bonding requirements and any other project-specific requirements.
- Negotiating scope, price, and subcontract terms with vendors and subcontractors through subcontract award.
- Issuing recommendation for approval of subcontractors/vendors and any awards to such subcontractors/vendors to client and/or project team.
- Prepare and issue subcontracts or oversee process and follow up for timely execution of the subcontract, receipt of insurance certificates and Payment and Performance (P&P) bonds, and any other project specific items that must be submitted to complete the subcontract process.
- In conjunction with Project Team, develop, execute, and monitor Risk Management Plans where/when required.
- Supervising assistant procurement agents, procurement assistants and/or interns, including providing input on performance appraisals.
- Resolving issues with regard to any disputes relating to scope of work and change orders.
- Overseeing current insurance certificates, bonds, and consent of surety for reserve reductions, off-site material payments and final payments.
- Effective execution of company policies and procedures relating to procurement and purchasing
- Receive, monitor and track all field issued requisitions
- Solicit and expedite quotations
- Prepare purchase orders and change orders
- Expedite requested materials
- Prepare and issue necessary procurement related reports
- Support ad hoc procurement related functions
- Executes and manages work under supervision and guidance of Project Manager
- Identifies problems or issues in a timely manner to take corrective action as required
- Builds and maintains relationships with suppliers, management, customers, support organizations and project team members
- Assures compliance with Yates policies and procedures and brings non-compliance issues to the attention of management
- Residential/Custom Housing
- Track Housing
- Multi-Family Housing
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. EOE/Vets/Disabilities/M/F
Yates performs heavy construction and building work throughout the United States and relocation is sometimes required for continuous employment opportunities.